
Bought this magazine today after class. On my way home I decide to pull it out of my bag to read while I wait for the bus. Then the lady says to me "you like art?" & we start conversing. This lady has studied at Emily Carr for 15 years and Cap for 1semester. She says to me "I never was a fan of Keith Haring, I don't know why he got famous." It stunned me a little when she said that. Then it reminded me of Banksy's Documentary. How this amateur artist became a millionaire basically over night. He really didn't know what he was doing, but because he was so confident in what he did he became so successful. & here is Keith Haring. Such simple forms, shapes, colours, repetition in pattern used & its art. Also very successful. But why? I mean its so simple right? That's what this lady/artist standing next to me was saying.
I finally get on the bus & start to read the introduction. This is the 1st paragraph..
"Here is a game you should play over the next month: Try to find one bad thing written or said about Keith Haring. Find one person, fan, art dealer, break-dancer, hip-hop artist, or fellow artist who met, hung out, or knew of him in the 1980s, and see if anyone has one negative comment to make. You could search and search, and never hear any off-putting mention of Keith Haring."
How ironic was that? Before I even had a chance to open the book up this lady/artist standing next to me out of all the people in the world decides to do the one thing Juxtapoz Magazine thinks is not possible.
TRUE STORY.
Rip Keith Haring
http://www.haring.com
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network
No comments:
Post a Comment